Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wishy, Washy, Flip Flopper

Maybe I am ill informed, maybe I am easily influenced, some might just call me ignorant, but I am very undecided about this election! I was raised in a very conservative, loud Republican family. My husband was President of the Republican Club in our small Connecticut town, when we met, we even had "W" stickers on our car during the '04 election- to some, McCain would be the most obvious choice for me. I do not like "BIG" government, I want to pay less taxes, and I enjoy the thought of a woman in office. But I am not 100% sold. I am a social worker, I see the families every day struggling with health care coverage and costs. I hate the thought of war, for whatever reason- justified or not. I am a bit of an environmentalist and greatly appreciate the liberal view on environmental conservation. My family has felt the pains of a slow economy and our current economic slump.

One day I am gung ho Obama, the next day McCain. I never could identify with people who did not exercise their right to vote, but I have to say I am feeling for them now. What happens if I get to the voting booth and pull a Cindy Brady freeze at the red light? Maybe I will feel better after I hear some of the debates. Honestly it will probably confuse me more...

6 comments:

Caffeine Court said...

I can't wait for the debates. I'm so excited to see what they have to say, face-to-face.

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I love watching the debates! I am such a Political Geek! But I do have to say that I am really starting to miss Tim Russert...this election will not be the same without him. Maybe his son can help a little...

Anonymous said...

Your post is thoughtful. It's surprising to me that as a social worker you would lean republican. I don't mean that to sound snarky at all - just that if you look at McCain's tax policy, he gives better tax breaks to those making more than $200k (which I guess is good for you if your top priority is lower taxes) but he's already said he'll cut services (bad for those who you help as a social worker).

Frankly I cannot understand the feeling of being undecided. Obama and McCain have very different stances on almost all issues - it would seem you're either one or the other. But it sounds like a lot of people, who won't admit it to pollsters, can't stomach voting republican but can't stomach voting for a black man. For this reason alone, I think McCain will win.

I'm not a huge Obama fan but I will vote for him. My hot-button issues are: environment and personal reproductive choices. BUT, my other hot-button issue in this particular race is that I cannot in good faith vote for a man who picked someone as VP with next to no experience and next to no knowledge of international affairs. Someone he met only once. That speaks a lot to me of his judgment.

Sorry for such a long comment!

Anonymous said...

If you don't like big government you better stick with McCain. Obama is definitely a "cradle to grave" big government kind of guy.

I can totally see why as a social worker you are conservative. I've done a lot of social work too and after awhile you see that people usually make their own problems, not society. The government should not enable people to further screw up their lives.

Anonymous said...

"The government should not enable people to further screw up their lives."

A perfect example of a compassionate conservative.

Anonymous said...

Try www.ontheissues.org and take the Presidential candidate quiz in the Quiz section. You put in your personal beliefs on a variety of topics (and is very good at explaining what they all mean, in case you're unsure), and it matches you up with what candidate you best agree with.