Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Respect in Politics

I'm 46 years old (yikes, 47 next week), a wife, school district administrator, mother of two almost grown up children and lover of politics. My son, who is in his first year of law school, was a Political Science major and as you can imagine, we've had many a lively conversation over the years. In the small town I grew up in, most everybody was a believer in the "solid south." That has changed. Amazingly, in this same small town since the 1970's a number of the county offices like Clerk of Court and Probate Judge have been held by women...good solid women who were the mothers of my friends and who played a big role in the person I've become. The day I registered to vote, the Probate Judge hugged me and whispered, "If you can't vote democrat, stay home on election day." Sometimes I've followed her rule and sometimes I haven't but I always vote and have never voted a straight ticket ever. It's about the individual candidate and the individual issues as far as I'm concerned.

I have my opinions as do you but it has bothered me lately when I've read what I consider to be MEAN things on blogs in regard to the opinions of people who were contrary to that of the blogger...whether he or she be Democrat, Republican, or Independent. Can we not agree to disagree, and take advantage of the freedom we have to engage in meaningful discourse with respect for an opposing opinion?

In The Land of Belle (my little perfect world) people would always check things out before they passed along bad, negative, or just plain not true and out of context information about the candidate they do not like. Let's be POSITIVE and RESPECTFUL. The bottom line is this...either Obama or McCain will be the next leader of the free world and whichever one is elected, a lot of people will be disappointed.

Here's the thing...I'll campaign hard for my candidate but come the morning after election day whomever has been chosen will be my President-elect and the campaign sign will be removed from the yard, the bumper sticker on my car will be in the trash can and I will be SOLIDLY behind the winner...MY President-elect, whether Obama or McCain. I encourage you to do the same.

6 comments:

jenn said...

I love what you've written here, Belle. I've been to some blogs lately, who purport to be political but who are actually just slamming the other party. It really disturbs me when people go after, not the issues, but the PEOPLE on the other side of the issues.

And I agree as well that come election day, it's time to get behind the president-elect. All the crabbing in the world is not going to change that this is who our leader will be for the next four years.

simplynotso said...

I completely agree, we need to come together as a country and be supportive of our leader.

Caffeine Court said...

I love the point you made about removing the bumper sticker after the election.

Even if we don't agree with the President, I think it's important to support him or her in leading our nation.

MsMVNJ said...

Bravo - well said.

Scarlet O'Kara said...

It is so very true that no matter what your politics, in the end we are all Americans. Once the President is elected, he becomes "our" President.

Debie Napoleon said...

Could not agree more...