Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We’re All in It to Win It…………..

Let me first start by introducing myself. I’m Miss Jack. I’m a SAHM for the most part, but I just got a part-time job to earn some extra cash to send our oldest to a private school. (Montessori) I married my best friend and soul mate. I tell him everything which can bite me in the ass sometimes, but I can’t lie to save my life.

We live in the suburbs of Chicago and despite the cost of living here, we love it….so far. We’re all Greek and half Italian so as you can imagine food is our life. My husband and I both went to school for Hospitality Management and currently he’s a chef at a restaurant. Yep! We’re well fed! Along with my degree I’ve added courses in Interior Design and I’ve picked up a few skills in the Montessori Method where I was a teacher’s assistant for a brief time. Since becoming a wife and mother, I’ve had to pursue a second degree in “Jack of All Trades” (hence the Miss Jack reference) and a Masters from the School of Hard Knocks.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic and my husband was born and raised Greek Orthodox. And since Greek Orthodox trumps my Roman Catholic upbringing I had to concede to baptizing our kids Greek Orthodox. My husband is very open-minded about religion and even though we’re raising them with primarily a Greek background we’ve taken them to church services at both churches. We are not regular parishioners at either church but if we ever have a desire or need to go we do. It doesn’t really help that my husband has to work 99% of the Sunday’s in a given year. I know, I know, I can take the kids to church whenever I want.

Then there’s politics. Honestly, I’ve never felt the need to vote. If I was alive when JFK was around, I probably would have voted for him. If I was old enough to vote when Regan was running, I probably would have voted for him. As far as the past 4 elections goes, ehh…no one made me sit up and take notice. However, this election has me looking. My husband and I have really made no decisions yet as far as what side of the political fence we are on. We really feel that our decision is going to be based on who we think is going to make for a better tomorrow. This means we do our share of reading up on both parties. We found a wonderful website at http://www.politifact.com/ that basically goes through all the major claims made by both candidates, both parties, commercials, mass emails, etc and does research to find out if they're true or not. In other words, it helps you sift through the crap and political mumbo-jumbo. And it seems VERY non-partisan, too, because it has mis-truths from BOTH sides - not just one. Anyway, for what it’s worth…..You can always read more about me and check out my blog at http://www.spyroufamily.blogs.com/.

2 comments:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Thanks. I will be sure to check that site out.

Nice to meet you...and hopefully I can get some good recipes for the hubby & you!

Angie said...

of course....always willing to share. Just ask.