Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'm taking a cue from Clemson Girl....

You really should go over and read today's post from Clemson Girl. It's all about staying positive in these scary times. In the spirit of being positive, today I'm hoping we can share things that make us happy.

I'll start with the obvious, my family. My daughters light up my life. They are such hilarious fun little ladies. I have a great time with them, and even when they drive me nuts, I love them more than words can say. My husband is a doll, he's so good to us and we need to tell him everyday, 10 times a day, how much we appreciate him.

I love, love, love my pets. They add alot of work and clean up to my daily chores, but I adore the way they follow me around and look up at me with pure love in their eyes. I'm never lonely when they are around.

One thing that always calms me and makes me happy is my Dr. Wayne Dyer, audio book "Change Your Thoughts-Change Your Life." I listen to it all the time when I'm alone in the car.

Here's what it's all about.

Five hundred years before the birth of Jesus, a man named Lao-tzu wrote a text of 81 verses, called the Tao Te Ching or the Great Way, which offers advice and guidance that is balanced, moral, spiritual, and always concerned with working for the good.

Each chapter is designed for actually living the Tao or the Great Way today. Some of the chapter titles are "Living with Flexibility," "Living Without Enemies," and "Living by Letting Go." Each of the 81 brief chapters focuses on living the Tao and concludes with a section called "Doing the Tao Now."

I listen to one chapter and day, and work on practicing it. If you haven't read the Tao Te Ching, you should. Go ahead, Google Lao-tzu. He was a very wise man.

Seriously, the Tao rocks.

What makes you happy?

Oh and P.S. Wayne Dyer is the guy who married Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

2 comments:

jenn said...

The Tao sounds fascinating. I'm going to pick up a copy today.

Kate said...

Reading through older posts - but had to tell you I LOVE that Wayne Dyer book. You should definitely check out "A thousand names for joy" by Byron Katie. It's in the same vein - interpretations of the Tao & application to contemporary life.