Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happiness in My 30's

My personal happiness has shifted form as I age. Whereas in my 20's, I would have defined happiness as a night at the newest hot club in town, wearing a cute outfit and scoping out the men, that now strikes me as about the fourth circle of hell.

Now happiness is more tied to family, home, a good book, a fire in the woodstove, a cat in my lap, and pants that make my stomach look flat. (Also a grande nonfat cinnamon dolce latte, if we're being totally honest here).

I don't know how much of it comes from living in a state completely barren of vegetation for six months of the year, but nature has become an integral part of my happiness. I adore my flower gardens, my acre of woods, and even the wildflowers that bloom along our road. And lucky, lucky me, I scored a husband who doesn't seem to care what I spend at the garden center. That, too, is happiness.

3 comments:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

That is so true...

my happiness buttons do change as I get older...

Caffeine Court said...

Getting dressed up and going out clubbing sounds like a nightmare to me now. I used to go out ALL THE TIME. I'm glad I got it out of my system while I was young.

jenn said...

Back then, it was almost like a high getting all dolled up to dance all night. Still, once I was engaged to my husband, I remember thinking, "Well, thank God I'm done with THAT."