Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our first topic of discussion...

Now that we all know each other, let's get the conversation going!



I'm going to start with a subject that's on everyone's minds these days...the upcoming Presidential election.

I have very mixed feelings about this year's race for the White House.

On one hand, I think it's great that there is so much enthusiasm. The whole country is buzzing with excitement. We've broken through some barriers this year. We have our first black candidate for the presidency. We have a young woman with 5 children running for VP. How cool is that?

On the other hand, I'm seeing alot of hatred. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable discussing my choice for President (McCain) with certain people. Friends of mine who are making a different choice have actually said to me..."I'm surprised you're voting for McCain, I thought you were smarter than that." Ouch.

I don't claim to be a rocket scientist, but I am a relatively intelligent well informed person. Each election I look at the candidates and choose the one that best represents my beliefs.

I have yet to find a candidate in ANY election who I agree with completely.

I believe in less government. I want lower taxes, not because I'm a selfish money grubber, but because I want the freedom to decide where my money should go. As a family, we donate our money to the charities of our choosing. I don't want the government making those decisions for me. I actually believe we should have a flat tax across the board. With the same percentage paid by everyone, regardless of how much they make. It'll never happen, but I like the idea.

Our nation's security is a critical issue for me. I hate what's going on in the Middle East, but we're in there and we can't just leave at this point. We need a leader who can help clean up the mess over there (as much as possible) and THEN bring our troops home. I believe McCain is the best candidate for this job.

I can't stand the stereotypes placed on each political party. Democrats feel that Republicans are big fat rich white guys who sit atop their piles of money squashing the less fortunate with their $500 wing tip shoes. Or that they are white trash, living in trailer parks, reading the bible and shooting their guns.

The Republicans will say that Democrats are bleeding heart liberals, who want everything in this country run by the government and don't believe in the principles of family, God and country.

Am I exaggerating? Of course I am, but I'm doing it to make a point.

There are some pretty harsh words getting tossed around, I believe unnecessarily.


Many of you are voting for Barack Obama. Good for you. I'm sure you have very good, very valid reasons for making that choice. I would love to hear why he's your choice, and I'd never attack you because your opinion might differ from mine.

Things are scary right now, and emotions are running high. Let's respect each other's differences and celebrate them instead of resorting to pointing fingers and name calling.

Isn't that what freedom of expression is all about?

Author: Jill, blog administrator, SAHM from NJ. My other blog...Caffeine Court.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Frankly it gags me that anyone would make a comment on who you would vote for and then challenge your intelligence because they don't necessarily agree. That's ridiculous.

And this is from one of those bleeding hearts, even. ;)

justme said...

i think this is a great post...i have to say that i too feel that many folks who are against mccain/palin debate wtih a snobbery - as if you CAN not have a different idea.
i am very curious to hear people's thoughts, in an intelligent manner, not in a bashing palin way.

justme said...

you can disagree with someone and that doesn't make them dumb.

Genuine Lustre said...

I have been absolutely tarred, feathered and publicly stoned by my liberal *friends* on this topic. It seems tolerance and open-mindedness are completely out the window.

I too will vote for McCain, though I didn't in the primary. His military experience, and that of his children, means a lot to me. And I think he'll do the best to preserve my constitutional rights.
No president is an expert on every topic - that's what the cabinet is for.

B.H. Obama is the great unknown - his connections, his background -- not the person to have as commander in chief while we are fighting a war on terrorism. Yes, I know. I'm one of those midwesterners he ridicules - I own guns, I worship Jesus and I make babies. My husband owns a small business that is drowning in govt red tape.

Liberal vs. Conservative involves such a difference in worldview, that I'm not even sure we can discuss intelligently, since we define the same words differently. It all comes down to -- do you want to do it yourself or do you want the govt' to do it for you.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Great article in the Wall Street Journal today about Obama and his close relationship (one the pro Obama media won't explore - they're too busy in Alaska looking up Palin's lunch receipts) with the terrorist Bill Ayers. It's scary. Why in the world would you befriend this guy with any thought of running for president someday?

Jaina said...

Great post Jill, I really like the way you presented things. I tend to agree with you, but I'll try and get out my own post about it.