Sunday, October 19, 2008

What I fear....

I've lived in the deep south...I've seen things happen and certain people react in a way I never thought possible.

For example...I needed a rental in Memphis, TN. The guy who came to get me was African American and he was driving really sloow when everyone else, who I noticed to be white was breezing right by us. I asked him what the heck was going on- he said 'oh ma'am, white cops don't like us much and will find a reason to stop me so I just go slow so that they dont have a reason to stop me'.

That made me sad. What a way to live.

In any case, put aside all political affiliations, and let's just think about Obama, his family, etc.

Are we (in we I say my diverse group of friends) the only ones who fear that if Mr. Obama gets elected someone will try something as stupid as was done with JFK, MLK, and so on?

That is something I fear...I hope it never comes to fruition, but having lived in the 'deep south' and seen the hatred still be alive and kickin'....it just worries me a tiny bit...because there are just too many crazy people out there.

4 comments:

jenn said...

That's crossed my mind as well. It makes me sad that there are still people who judge a person based on the color of their skin.

Caffeine Court said...

A friend of mine who is a huge Obama supporter has voiced the same fear. Unfortunately there are so many reasons some nut might try to kill the President no matter what his or her color. That's why they've had the Secret Service for so long.

Living up north my whole life I haven't seen to much prejudice, but if I were black I'm sure I would have stories to tell. Some people are so ignorant and full of hate.

Anonymous said...

My family and I have discussed that very thing happening:( Sad, but true! Scary, but true:(

Anonymous said...

I will be voting for Obama on election day but I, too, worry about this. In my opinion, if he is elected and asassinated, it will be much worse on race relations than if he wasn't elected at all. I'm terrified of the possibility that he will be shot.