Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What I believe...

It would be very Catholic of me to say that, yes, being gay is a choice, ( say a rosary and all will be forgiven) however I really do not believe that. Just as our graceful moderator pointed out, I do think some people choose to be in same-sex relationship, whether or not that makes them gay is another million dollar question. But down to the heart of it, I can't imagine most homosexual people just wake up one morning and say, "I'd like to try something new today..." In a lot of places, being gay is socially acceptable, but in small town rural America, it is still a taboo. I really believe people would not put themselves in a compromising situation, about their sexuality, on the whim of being different or trying something new. My other Catholic conscience, also, believes we are all innately good people, regardless of sexual preference and your choice to be gay is not any more a "sin" or wrong than me lusting after Brad Pitt.

As for my children, my older daughter has seen some same sex couples in public. I have really just explained that all families are different and some families have two mommies/daddies, or just one of each etc... Both girls, ages 6 & 8 have seemed pretty satisfied with that answer for the time being.

1 comment:

jenn said...

Just wait! The really detailed questions started from my daughter in fifth grade...